Thursday, May 6, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookies and a sort of Book reviews

I  this week I thought a cookie recipe was the go........... Even cooked a batch, they are all gone.  I could blame Nipper as he is known to eat cookies (not recomended at all, but what can I say....... "youngest gremlin")

The recipe is adapted from the fantastic cookbook called  "The Country Show Cookbook", award-winning recipes from country shows. Agricultural Societies Council of NSW. The photos in the book are beautiful and the food ones actually look like real people have baked them.

I was given this cookbook for my birthday and inside are the most amazing recipes from Scones to Spreads.  The gremlins love the fact I have been baking the recipes from this book.  Also from there point of view of the boys, I've made snacks for them for school.  The baked recipes I have made have frozen really well.  Also on the money side the cost is only a fraction of what I have been spending on there snacks.  

As You can guess I love this book,  gremlins love this book, senior gremlins wookplace is loving this book.................... I have also made some relish out of this book aswell and that is yummie.  

So here is the recipe

Chocolate chip Biscuits (pg 144)

Ingredients

125grms Butter (4 oz)
1/2 cup castor sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence 
1 egg ( I ended up using 2 eggs because I  am guessing they are meaning country size big egg)
2 cups self raising flour
1 cup of chocolate chips (I used a 125gram bag of chocolate chip that way I wasn't tempted to snack on them)

Method

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F)

Grease a baking tray (I lined my tray with baking paper, less clean up)

In a bowl place butter, castor sugar, brown sugar and the vanilla.  Beat until light and creamy. (Beat until all the sugar in almost dissolved)

Add egg and beat untill combined.

Add flour and chocolate chips and combine to a soft dough (looks crumbly but holds well when making into the ball)

Roll tablespoons portions of the dough into balls and flatten (don't make any bigger, because they really do expand)

Place evenly on the tray (make sure not to over crowd the tray because they expand, I know I am harping on about the expanding but they do.......)

Bake in oven for 12-15 minutes.  (12 minutes for the chewy centre, 15 minutes for a crunchie one)

Cool and try and not to let gremlins eat all in one hit......................................make about 18 cookies/biscuits

Take care 

Suzy

0 comments: